I cannot believe that it has been so long since I posted last! The holidays were so busy that I kept forgetting to post! Now that I’m getting back into our normal routine I’ll try to get back into the habit of posting more regularly.
I have a sad bit of news – my kitty Harpo passed away the week before Christmas, so it made the holidays bittersweet for me. He would have loved all the wrapping paper and excitement. The vet was so sweet and did a set of his paw prints in clay for me, and the staff even hand signed a condolences note for me as well. The sadness is fading slowly, but I still miss him.
In knitting news, however, I have lots to share!
I finally finished my cashmere shawl – it turned out just lovely, I’m so happy with it!
Pattern: Queen Silvia Shawl from Knitted Lace of Estonia
Yarn: 100% Cashmere : 220nm heavy lace from Colourmart
Needles: US 4
Started: February 17, 2011
Finished: December 15, 2011
Finished measurements: 60 inches by 26 inches
This was my last finished object of 2011! I made absolutely no modifications to the pattern. The machine knitting oils washed out of the yarn really nicely (the yarn is machine knitting remnants, so the yarn is pre-oiled) and the shawl blocked out very well. It was done in time for me to wear it to the Nutcracker ballet with my son. 🙂 My goal with this was to have an ‘heirloom’ quality shawl when I was done. It turned out so very light and airy, and I think it meets my goal to a T!
My first FO of 2012 is my linen stitch scarf:
Pattern: Koigu Linen Stitch Scarf by Churchmouse
Yarn: Claudia Handpainted sock yarn, in colors ‘Driftwood’, ‘Truffles’, and ‘Yo! Sailor Boy’
Needles: US 5
Started: October 2, 2011
Finished: January 9, 2012
Finished measurements: 6 feet, 10 inches long, not counting the fringe.
This was an easy knit, and mindless, but it was a bit too mindless after a while. I’m very glad that it’s done, actually. After about 1/3 of the scarf was done I had the bright idea to work every row from the right side, which made it go a bit faster, but didn’t relieve the tedium that much. Don’t get me wrong, I think it looks great, but I can’t see myself making another one anytime soon!
My second FO of 2012 is a pair of socks that have been on the needles for far too long:
Pattern: improvised – 64 stitch toe up socks.
Yarn: Knit Witch Celestial Bounce in ‘Starry Night’
Needles: US 2 (2.75mm)
Started: March 19, 2011
Finished: January 11. 2012
These were started when I was teaching a two-at-a-time sock class, and I never finished them after the class. I decided to do an afterthought heel (since I had never done them before). I used waste yarn where I wanted the heel, and I used Jeny’s Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off at the end of the cuff (wonderful bind-off!). My first heel was a little wonky – it had ‘ears’ like you get on your toes. It fits alright, but has a bit too much extra fabric on the sides of the heel. I altered the second heel to add extra decreases for the last few rows and that fixed it perfectly! I’m going to leave the first heel as it is, though, since I don’t feel like ripping it back. 🙂 Overall, I’m happy with these – I don’t mind the heel as much as I thought I would, and I like that the stripes stay consistent throughout the sock.
So, that’s it from me for today! I have a few new projects I just started on, so I’ll show you those next week! And don’t forget to check out Tami’s Amis for more FO Friday posts.